KW Art Events
I don’t have time to do a full post this month, but here’s what’s on my radar:
- I’ll be your Mirror opens on Friday, October 5 at KWAG with an artist talk featuring Erika DeFreitas [website]
- 2018 K-W Central Art Walk on Saturday, October 20 [Facebook Event]
Check out my list of art galleries and event websites in KW.
Princess Cinema’s Art, Design & Architecture Series
Showing a documentary every Monday in October [website]
- Mon, Oct 8 – 7pm – Kasuma Infinity
The artist’s “Infinity Mirrors” show came through Toronto, but tickets were impossible to get (and the show was super busy.) Female Japanese artist Yayoi Kasuma is 89 years old, and is only now becoming well known by the general public because her social-media-friendly displays. The filmmakers compare her to Van Gogh – if he had received acclaim during his lifetime.
Mon, Oct 15 – 7pm – Graphic MeansThe evolution of graphic design ~1950 to 1990, just before the desktop computer revolutionized the industry.
Mon, Oct 22 – 7pm – Concrete Love – Free admission, must RSVP!German film about the Brutalist architect Gottfried Böhm. Per Wikipedia: “…define[s] himself as an architect who creates “connections” between the past and the future, between the world of ideas and the physical world, between a building and its urban surroundings.”
Mon, Oct 29 – 7pm – Design CanadaLooks at a group of Canadian designers in the 60s and 70s and how they used images to define Canada’s identity.
Other items of interest:
- Meet the candidates for Waterloo Region Municipal Elections on Sunday, October 14 [Facebook Event]
- Don’t forget to vote on October 22 or in an advance poll! Online, phone and paper ballot options are available.
- Lecture: An Anishinaabe Politics of the International: Odaenuah, Akina, miniwaa Gchi’naaknigewin on Thursday, October 18 [website]
- MPP Community Conversation for Kitchener-Centre with Laura Mae Lindo on Sunday, October 28 [Facebook Event]